WinCDEmu is a free, open source and lightweight virtual cd/dvd drive emulator software, it’s deadly simple to use and reliable, it allows you mount iso file as virtual drive with a simple double click.
Unlike its competitors, WinCDEmu will not add an icon to the system tray, the manner of operation is similar to any other type files, click to use it, that’s all!
Once downloaded and installed it, just double click an iso file in the Windows Explorer to mount it, WinCDEmu will pop up a window letting you choose a driver letter for the image, you could also let it manage drive letters automatically.
You can unmount a drive by double clicking the iso file again, or eject the virtual cd/dvd disk from the right button context menu.
WinCDEmu requires administrator rights(UAC) to mount an image file by default, you could turn off this setting via WinCDEmu/WinCDEmu settings in windows start menu.
- There is no learning curve, it’s simple to install and use.
- Official portable version available.
- Supports simulating up to 20+ virtual cd/dvd drives simultaneously( Actually WinCDEmu itself does not has any limitation, but the Windows operating system only supports up to 26 drive letters ).
- Supports the following disk image formats: ISO, CUE, NRG, MDS/MDF, CCD, IMG.
- It has build-in multilanguage support: English, Russian, Japanese, Italian, French, German, Greek, Romanian, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch.
- It’s compatible with iTunes.
WinCDEmu works on Windows 7, Windows XP / Vista / 2003 / NT( 32 bit and 64 bit systems ).