Nowadays more and more digital devices are used to create and store files, such as iPads, laptops, digital cameras, camcorders, cell phones, portable media players and PDAs. If you want to copy thousands of files from one location to another location and keep directory contents identical, you should use a backup and synchronization utility, such as freefilesync, or SyncToy.
SyncToy is a free tool developed by Microsoft, it allows you synchronize two folders in a few steps, you can include or exclude specified subfolders, exclude files by extension or filename. One of the only drawbacks to SyncToy is that it does not support schedule, but it works fine together with Windows Task Scheduler.
SyncToy has an intuitive user friendly interface and is easy to operate, it does what it promises, and supports Windows 7( both 32bit and 64bit ).
- Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment: Drive letter reassignment will now be detected and updated in the folder pair definition.
- True Folder Sync: Folder creates, renames and deletes are now synchronized for all SyncToy actions.
- Exclusion Filtering Based on Name: File exclusion based on name with exact or fuzzy matching.
- Filtering Based on File Attributes: The ability to exclude files based on one or more file attributes (Read-Only, System, Hidden).
- Unattended Folder Pair Execution: Addressed issues related to running scheduled folder pairs while logged off.
- Folder Pairs With Shared Endpoints: Ability for folder pairs associated with the same or different instances of SyncToy to share end-points.
- Command line enhancements: Added the ability to manage folder pairs via the command line interface.
- Re-Architect Sync Engine: The SyncToy engine has been rearchitected to provide scalability and the ability to add significant enhancements in future releases.
- Sync engine is also more robust insomuch that many single, file level errors are skipped without affecting the entire sync operation.
- Sync Encrypted Files: Sync of Encrypted files works when local folder and files are encrypted, which addresses the common scenario involving sync between local, encrypted laptop PC folder and remote, unencrypted desktop PC folder.
- 64-Bit Support: SyncToy now has a native 64-bit build (x64 only) for 64-bit versions of Windows.
- Folder pair rename
- Sub-folder Exclusion Enhancements: Descendents created under excluded sub-folders are automatically excluded. Usability improvements for the sub-folder exclusion dialog.
- Folder Pair Metadata Moved: Folder pair metadata removed from MyDocuments to resolve any issues with server-based folder pair re-direction setup.
- Setup Improvements: Integrated setup with single self-extracting archive file and no extra downloads if you already have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Enabled silent install for the SyncToy Installer file (see readme.txt file for more information).
SyncToy works on Microsoft Windows 7 / Windows XP / Windows Vista. ( 32bit and 64bit ).