As we’ve covered before, TrueCrypt is the best disk encryption software, but if you have some very very critical and sensitive documents on your hard drive, you could encrypt them one more level with a file encryption program, for instance, AxCrypt.
AxCrypt is an open source file encryption application, it’s lightweight, easy to use and powerful.
- Encrypt files with bank-level 128 bit AES encryption algorithm.
- Simple to install and operate.
- Supports large files(>4GB).
- Command-line interface available.
- It has file shredder built in.
Once downloaded and installed it, you could right click on any file in the Windows Explorer and choose Axcrypt from the context menu.
- The option “Encrypt” will create a encrypted file and remove the original file.
- The option “Encrypt a copy” will create a encrypted file and keep the original file.
- The option “Encrypt copy to .EXE” will create encrypt the file to a self-extracting package and keep the original file. You can decrypt the encrypted file on another machine which has not installed AxCrypt.
You could double click to decrypt a file( or single click, depend on your personal settings in Windows ) in Windows Explorer, enter the password and decrypt it, that’s all!
If you have the need for uploading files to online drive / copying files to usb flash disk, and want to keep them from prying eyes, AxCrypt is a good safe solution.
AxCrypt works on Windows 7 ( 32bit & 64 bit ), Windows XP / Windows 2000 / 2003 / Vista / 2008.