Early this month we reviewed TinyCAD, which is a freeware for designing circuit diagram. Logisim( LODJ-uh-sim ) is a free, open source, lightweight, easy-using, cross-platform, multi-language and portable alternative to TinyCAD which is suitable for students, it can be used to create larger circuits, hierarchical circuits and wire bundles.
- Built-in tens of predefined circuit components( gates, plexers, arithmetic, flip-flops, inputs and outputs, and RAM memory ): Wiring tool, Splitter, Pin, Tunnel, Pull Resistor, Probe, Clock, Bit Extender, Constant, NOT Gate, Buffer, AND Gate, OR Gate, NAND Gate, NOR Gate, XOR Gate, XNOR Gate, Odd Parity, Even Parity, Controlled Buffer, Controlled Inverter, Multiplexer, Demultiplexer, Decoder, Priority Encoder, Bit Selector, Adder, Subtractor, Multiplier, Divider, Negator, Comparator, Shifter, Bit Adder, Bit Finder, D Flip-Flop, T Flip-Flop, J-K Flip-Flop, S-R Flip-Flop, Register, Counter, Shift Register, Random Generator, RAM, ROM, Button, Joystick, Keyboard, LED, 7-Segment Display, Hex Digit Display, LED Matrix, TTY.
- Well-documented, it comes with a beginner’s tutorial and extremely detailed document.
- Combinational analysis.
- Allows to export to PNG, JPEG of GIF image.
- Allows to use OpenGL or DirectX to accelerate the graphic processing.
- Allows to choose first/second radix when wire poked: Binary, Octal, Signed Decimal, Unsigned Decimal, Hexadecimal.
- 3 gate shapes available: shaped, rectangular, DIN 40700.
- Supports multi-language: English, German, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese.
Logisim supports Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux.