If you’re an experienced UltraEdit-er, you sure know that you can hit the “Toggle HEX Mode” button on the toolbar to view and edit files in hex mode, however, if you want to edit large files, or edit RAM / disk, HxD is a better choice.
HxD is a fabulous free program for reading and editing large files, it has a tabbed interface and low memory footprint.
- RAW reading and writing of files / RAM / hard drives.
- Open and scroll down large files instantly.
- Supports large files up to 8EB.
- Allows you edit / cut / copy / paste / insert each byte.
- Unlimited times of undo.
- Allows you display only text and adjust to window width. The mainstream text editors such as UltraEdit / NotePad++ / PsPad, has poor support for viewing and editing large files, it’s a piece of cake to edit a big file which has a size of several hundred MB( game files, or the debug file of some huge projects, for instance, some commercial game engine ) with Hxd.
- Supports finding and replacing String / Hex-value / Integer number / Floating point number.
- Built-in MD5 checker / SHA-1 / SHA-256 / SHA-512 / CRC16 / CRC32 checksum generator.
- Export to a variety of file formats.
- Split / join / securely delete files.
HxD works on Windows 7 / Windows XP / Vista / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / 9X / NT.