ImDisk is a free, cross platform, lightweight and open source virtual disk emulator, it offers you the ability to create virtual drives from CD/DVD images with minimal time and effort.
Once you’ve downloaded and installed ImDisk, you can mount a CD/DVD image file in 3 different ways: through the context menu of Windows Explorer, through the corresponding icon in control panel, or from the command line.
You can also use ImDisk for creating RAM disks( Auto / harddisk volume / Floppy / CD-ROM / DVD-ROM ) by leaving the image file field blank, ImDisk allows you specify the size of virtual disk in several units: Bytes, Blocks, Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gibabytes.
- Easy to use, the interface is easy to get around.
- Extend the disk size on the fly.
- Create virtual harddisk, CD/DVD-ROM, Floppy drive.
- Simulate Removable media, Read-only media.
- Support up to 26 virtual drives.
- Auto-detect the following formats: iso, nrg, bin.
- Support image file offset.
- Save contents of virtual disks to img/iso files.
ImDisk works on Windows 7( with UAC disabled ), Windows XP / Windows NT / 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / Vista and FreeBSD, it supports both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.
Download the install package and source code from the developer’s website.
WinCDEmu is another open source virtual cd/dvd drive emulator software.