FreeFileSync is the best backup and synchronization freeware
Acronis true image and Norton Ghost are excellent backup software, but many of us prefer the type of software which copy files and folders directly instead of archive them into an image file. With Acronis true image or Norton Ghost, when you want to manage the backuped files and folders, you must mount the image file as a drive first, it’s not a good idea. True image and ghost is a good choice for system partition imaging, but if you want to backup/synchronize your documents, you should choose a folder comparison and synchronization application.
FreeFileSync is a free and open source backup and synchronization software, it’s easy to use and powerful, you could compare files and synchronize them, exclude selected files or those files via filter through the right-click context menu, save the configuration to a file for later use. You can even create a batch job for automated synchronization, you can use a scheduled software such as windows task scheduler to backup or synchronize your documents automatically.
1. Compare files (bytewise or by date) and synchronize them.
2. Network support.
3. Built-in support for very long filenames (more than MAX_PATH = 260 characters).
4. Lean & easily accessible UI: Highly optimized for speed and huge sets of data.
5. Create Batch Jobs for automated synchronization with or without GUI.
6. Support drag & drop.
7. Support for filesizes larger than 4 GB.
8. Option to move files to Recycle Bin instead of deleting/overwriting them.
9. Ignore directories “\RECYCLER” and “\System Volume Information” with default filter. (Windows only)
10. Delete before copy: Avoid disc space shortages for large sync-jobs.
11. Filter functionality to include/exclude files from synchronization (without requiring a re-compare!).
12. Include/exclude specific files from synchronization temporarily.
13. Create sync jobs via GUI to synchronize automatically (can be scheduled or executed via double-click).
14. Portable version available.
15. Native 64-Bit version.
16. Copy locked files using Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. (Windows only)
17. Create regular backups with macros %time%, %date% within directory names
18. Copy file and folder create/access/modification times when synchronizing.
FreeFileSync supports Windows XP/Windows 7/2000/Vista.
Download Now: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/files/