We’ve covered several free MP3 cutters, but most of them are designed to extract a selected part from the original audio stream, they are perfect for creating ringtones for your mobile phone such as iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Nokia phones. Mp3splt-gtk is a free, open source, cross-platform mp3 splitting software developed by Alexandru Munteanu, it’s the GUI version of Mp3splt, Mp3splt is a command line tool developed by Matteo Trotta. Mp3splt-gtk can be used to split a mp3 file into multiple tracks/parts without decoding / encoding and quality loss, this is especially useful in cases where you want to split your favorite album into a certain quantity of tracks.
- Supported source audio formats: MP3, OGG.
- Allow you to add split points in 3 methods:
- Manually add/move/delete split points on the amplitude wave through mouse clicking.
- Add/edit/remove split points which have the accurate value in the “Splitpoints” tab.
- Import split points from freedb.org or cddb, cue, audiacity labels files.
- Built-in audio player: GStreamer and SnackAmp.
- Customizable output filename format.
- Support ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags.
- Support MP3 VBR.
- 5 split modes:
- Time: split every n seconds.
- Equal time tracks.
- Silence – split with silence detection.
- Wrap – split files created with mp3wrap or albumwrap( mp3 only ).
- Error mode.
- Portable version available.
- Plus many more.
Mp3Splt-gtk works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Mp3Splt-gtk is a 11.7MB download available from SourceForge.net.