( Windows Only )There are hundreds of free MD5/SHA1 hash generator on the internet, I’ve tried a lot of them and found that most of them are trash. In order to save your valuable time, I’ll only introduce the excellent ones to you.
In my opinion, a well designed MD5/SHA1 checker should has the following features:
- Supports drag and drop, you can drag any file from Windows Explorer into the hash generator, you do not need to browse and choose the file via the open file dialog. Some MD5 checker supports drag n drop in Windows XP, but does not support in Windows 7.
- Supports computing both md5 checksum and sha-1 checksum.
- Allows you copy the checksum generated to clipboard with a single button press. You need not click and move to select the string.
- Allows you paste into the checksum from clipboard with a single button press.
- Allows you cancel the process of computing at any time. This is especially useful for large files.
KRyLack File Checksum Tool is a free application which is satisfied with all the above requirements. It supports generating MD5, MD2, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, HAVAL values of any file, it’s portable and no installation is required.
MD5/SHA1 value is usually used for verifying the integrity of a file you downloaded from the internet. Furthermore, you could use it to detect and remove the duplicate files from your hard drive, or use it to compare a directory on your local hard drive with a directory on your external drive which is used for backing up.
For further reading, please check out:
- Compare files in two folders with MD5Summer.
- Best free duplicate file finder( same file remover ) based on MD5 comparison.