Many source control software such as Microsoft Visual SourceSafe (VSS) have a built-in tool for comparing between current and historical versions of source code files, but if you are not a programmer, you should choose a more lightweight solution, for instance, WinMerge, it’s an excellent text file comparison utility, if you want to keep things simple, ExamDiff is developed for you, it’s simple, lightweight, straightforward and easy to use.
ExamDiff is a program that could present differences between two files side by side to you, it’s free for personal use.
- Drag and Drop.
- Ignore white space, ignore case.
- Display different lines only.
- Navigate to previous/next difference easily.
- Show line numbers.
- Toggle splitter orientation.
- Customizable foreground and background colors of font.
- Detect file changes automatically.
- Support launching from the command line, this makes it possible to use it in conjunction with the best backup and sync paid software – 2BrightSparks SyncBackPro or the best backup and sync freeware CopyTo Synchronizer.
ExamDiff free version does not support regular expressions for search and replace, editing file within application and many other advanced features, you can either buy ExamDiff Pro or download the freeware WinMerge to get these features.
ExamDiff works on most Windows OS including Windows 7 and Windows XP.