In the previous post, we’ve featured a free Text-To-Speech software which is based on the Microsoft Speech Technology, eSpeak is another text to speech application, it uses its own engine to produce artificial pronunciation for many languages like English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, etc.
eSpeak works on Windows and Linux, its Windows version contains four programs: a command line version, which can be run from the command prompt; a dll library file, which can be invoked from other programs; a voice editor, which allows to tweak a wide quantity of variables and compile the spelling-to-phoneme translation data; a GUI program, which can read a paragraph of text for you.
- Allows to speak, pause, resume, stop at any time, allows to save the speech to a wav file.
- Allows to change the voice, rate, volume, frequency( 8Hz, 11Hz, 12Hz, 16Hz, 22Hz, 24Hz, 32Hz, 44Hz, 48Hz ), bit( 8 bit, 16 bit ), mono or stereo.
- Supports SSML( Speech Synthesis Markup Language ).
- Allows to produce and tune phoneme data with editor.
- Allows to build phoneme codes from text.
- Supports tens of languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Armenian, Cantonese, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Kurdish, Latvian, Lojban, Macedonian, Mandarin, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Turkish, Vietnamese, Welsh.