Microsoft Visual C++ is the most well known C++ IDE( integrated development environment ) for Windows developers, Code::Blocks is an open source alternative to it, it allows to open and import existing projects, compile, debug and run the code, it’s lightweight and supports Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Because a C++ IDE usually has most of the features of a text editor like UltraEdit/PsPad, you can also use Code::Blocks as a replacement to UltraEdit or NotePad++.
- Tabbed document interface.
- Highly customizable, flexible and extendable, supports a lot of plugins.
- Allows to open a wide quantity of projects and files including Visual C++ project/workspace files, Dev-C++ project files, C/C++ files, MatLab files, SQL files, PHP/ASP/HTML/JS files, CSS files, Lua files, Python files, Fortran files, Lisp files, MASM assembly files, OpenGL shading language files, Perl files, Pascal files, XML files, etc.
- Supports multiple compilers: Intel C/C++ complier, GNU GCC complier, Microsoft Visual C++ 2003/2005/2008, Borland C++ complier, LCC complier, Tiny C complier, SDCC complier, Cygwin GCC, etc. Allows to optimize for Intel and AMD cpu.
- Support for parallel builds.
- Supports code breakpoints, data breakpoints, breakpoint conditions, breakpoint ignore counts.
- Supports call stack, disassembly, etc.
- Syntax highlighting.
- Built-in hex editor.
- Zoom in or out with Ctrl + mouse wheel.
- Allows to add/remove bookmarks.
- Supports full screen mode.
- Regular expressions for search-and-replace, search / replace in files.
- And many more…
Code::Blocks works on Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux( 32 and 64 bit ).