Up until now, Duplicate Cleaner is the best duplicate file remover / detector, it’s free but not open source. Yesterday I discovered a not well known gem casually on SourceForge, you can use it as an alternative / replacement to Duplicate Cleaner.
The name of this gem is YADFR( Yet Another Duplicate File Remover ), it is developed by violent_ken, it’s simple, lightweight, well designed and fairly easy to use, it provides a step-by-step wizard to guide you through selecting folders and removing the duplicate files, operating it is easy, regardless of whether you’re a beginner or expert.
I’ve downloaded and tested tens of different kind of duplicate file finder, from free to paid ones, for example, AllDup, Duplicate File Finder, CloneSpy, Auslogics Duplicate File Finder, DupeRazor Duplicate Files Removal Kit, Duplicate Finder( Ashisoft ), Duplicate Checker( GF Software ), the only one as good as YADFR is Duplicate Cleaner.
- Compare files using MD5 or SHA-1 hash algorithm for reliability and efficiency.
- Allows to set priority levels: Idle, Below Normal, Normal, Above Normal, High, Real Time.
- Allows to configure archives file extensions, images file extensions, music file extensions, as well as video file extensions. And lots of predefined file extensions available: *.rar;*.zip;*.7z;*.iso;*.tar;*.ace;*.cab; *.jpg;*.jpeg;*.png;*.gif;*.bmp;*.tif;*.tiff;*.pict; *.mp3;*.ogg;*.wma;*.mid;*.midi;*.aac;*.wav; *.avi;*.h264;*.wmv;*.ogm;*.mpg;*.mpeg;*.mpa;*.mov;*.qt;*.flv;*.m1v;*.m2v;*.mp4.
- Allows to include or exclude any directory easily.
- Allows to include or exclude any file types easily.
- Inlcude / Exclude files if their size is greater / lower than a specified size.
- Inlcude / Exclude files if their creation date / last access date / last write date is newer / older than a specified date.
- Several options available in the right button context menu of the search result window: open file, open file location, view file properties, move selected / checked files to recycle bin or another directory you specified, delete selected / checked files, copy file path / file hash / all informations, select files by date, exclude a path, save file list to CSV file, etc.
YADFR is released under GNU/GPL 3.0 License, it works on all popular Windows OS like Windows 7 and Windows XP, and supports both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
YADFR is a 428KB download available from SourceForge.net.