Mandelbulber is a free, open source and portable 3D fractal generator developed by Krzysztof Marczak, it allows you to render 3D fractals to image or video with 14 kinds of formulas( Trigonometric, Hypercomplex, Mandelbox, Menger Sponge, etc. ), the scene rendered with Mandelbulber is extremely impressive and stunning.
How to Use Mandelbulber
Once you’ve downloaded and extracted the archive, you should run the batch file named “install.bat” first, then you could launch Mandelbulber by hitting the file named “mandelbulber.exe”.
To get a first glimpse of Mandelbulber, just hit the “Load Settings” button on the main window and select an arbitrary one from the list, then press the “RENDER” button to let it render the final image.
Below is a video produced by Krzysztof Marczak using Mandelbulber:
Here are the images and animations created with Mandelbulber.
Here is the detailed user manual of Mandelbulber.
- Fully customizable.
- 60 predefined examples.
- Allows to render to static image or animation.
- Allows to specify the location and direction of 3d camera and record the camera path.
- Allows to add, delete, edit and view the keyframes of specific animation.
- Supports background sound, the sound can be used to control some parameters of fractal or shaders.
- Several post effects parameters tweakable: fog color, visibility of fog, screen space ambient occlusion, depth of field, etc.
- Allows to alter the width, height, format( JPG, PNG, PNG 16-bit, PNG 16-bit + Alpha channel ) of the image output.
- Allows to modify the colour, intensity, visibility, distribution radius of lights.
- Allows to tweak multiple factors of shader: brightness, gamma, shading, specularity, ambient, shadows, texture background, glow color, etc.
- Allows to combine multiple formulas to create a hybrid fractal.
- Allows to start from command line.
- Supports x86 and x64 systems.
However, it seems that Mandelbulber does not use GPU acceleration, using GLSL( OpenGL Shading Language ), CG or HLSL( High Level Shading Language ) may significantly increase the efficiency of the calculating and rendering process.
Mandelbulber supports Windows 7, Windows XP/Vista and Linux.