Perhaps Partition Magic is the most famous partition manager software, however it’s not free. As we covered two weeks ago, Partition Wizard is a good free alternative to Partition Magic, Parted Magic is another amazing free partition manager, you can download the Parted Magic LiveCD/LiveUSB and burn it to a CD/USB drive, then boot up the computer which has no os installed from the CD/USB, then partition the hard drive!
With Parted Magic it’s a piece of cake to create new partitions, expand primary partition or extended partition, just click the ‘Partition Editor’ icon on the desktop to launch gparted and manage your partitions. It does exactly what its name implies, and don’t need installation.
Parted Magic includes lots of useful apps, such as Memtest86+, Chromium, Clonezilla, partimage, wipe, etc.
- Supports the following file systems: FAT16 / FAT32 / NTFS / ext2 / ext3 / ext4 / hfs / hfs+ / jfs / linux-swap / reiserfs / reiser4 / xfs.
- Supports multilanguage.
- Format internal / external hard drives.
- Create / delete / resize / move / copy / expand / shrink hard drive partitions.
- Clone your hard drive, to create a full backup.
- Test hard drives for impending failure.
- Test memory for bad sectors.
- Benchmark your computer for a performance rating.
- Securely erase your entire hard drive, wiping it clean from all data.
- Gives access to non-booting systems allowing you to rescue important data.
- Runs from the CD or USB flash disk, no install required.
Parted Magic supports Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Windows XP / 2000 / 2003 / 2008 / Vista.
Download Parted Magic LiveCD 5.5 ( 136MB ) from sourceforge
Download Parted Magic LiveCD 3 ( 43MB ) from CNET.
Download Parted Magic LiveUSB 3 ( 43MB ) from CNET
Download other files from sourceforge.